Wednesday, November 28, 2012

BEHIND THE SCENES: Gathering & Creating Reference Material for My Farmers' Market Paintings



Gathering and creating reference material for future paintings is one of the most enjoyable parts of making art, for me.  This time, I was planning a series of Farmers' Market paintings for a gallery show.  This would be a two-step planning process, before I ever started the actual painting:  1)  Taking the pictures, and 2) creating the photo collages that I would use as references, while drawing and painting.







So, the first step was to visit the local Farmers' Market one Saturday to take lots of pictures.  I brought along my sister, so I'd have many photo references to use. . .







These are some of the photos that I used for the first painting . . . 









I used the photos to make photo collages.  I know many artists use Photoshop for this, but I like to spread out the pictures on my floor, rearrange them, cut them up, and paste them together into a pleasing composition.  I make a real mess, but it's fun. . . 






I used the above collage as reference, to paint this painting . . . 







More photos . . . 






Here's the collage I made with these sunflower pictures . . . 





And, here's the painting . . . 







I had to buy some of the gorgeous flowers, and some other goodies -- some were used in the paintings, and the goodies were just eaten . . . 










Here's the collage I put together with the above photos . . . 






and the finished painting . . . 







Here it is, framed and hanging in the gallery . . . 







One more collage . . . 






and the painting . . . 




















1 comment:

  1. Fascinating to have a little glimpse into how you work. I'm just dipping my little toe in this world, your site has been a huge help understanding some stuff that I read about but lack the general framework to process. I'm working up the courage to try some of your exercises. Thank you for putting them here, alongside your inspiring work.

    ReplyDelete